Newborn Essentials: It can be overwhelming when creating a registry and trying to decide on which products to add. There are SO many different products and brands out there now. I’ve compiled a list of my favorite and must have newborn products for you to hopefully take out some of the guesswork. When researching items, I started by filtering products that had a 5 star rating. This helped narrow it down a lot..so you know it is a customer favorite. I created my list based on the main categories like sleep, bathing, play time, etc. My list is of the main products that are used the most.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click and make a purchase, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
- Bassinet: this is our second bassinet, our daughter didn’t like the first one we had (and it was highly rated on buy buy baby) I recommend registering for a lower priced bassinet at first. Each baby is different and has different needs. That you won’t know until they are here. She loves looking at the mobile and there is music that is perfect to keep her entertained for a bit too. It also has a vibrating and light feature
- Sleep sacks: she wasn’t a fan of swaddles at all. We tried several different brands. She would break out of them and didn’t like not be able to move her legs freely. I even mentioned it to our pediatrician & he said that’s perfectly fine, babies don’t even need to be swaddled :). The Burt’s bees sleep sack is more like a blanket material and the Halo is a lighter fleece material. Both are great.
- Hatch sound machine: this has an app on your phone to easily control the sound, light color, and brightness settings. This is not only great for the noise, but the light is perfect for nighttime feedings/changings. We use it every night and me and my husband enjoy the white noise, too!
- Snuggle me organic lounger: we used this all the time. It’s so convenient for naps as it mimics your arms to make baby feel safe and secure. It can also be used for tummy time
- Frigg pacifiers: she actually isn’t a huge fan of pacifiers, pretty much at all haha. Again with the every baby is different 🙂 She will take one sometimes if we are in the car…we have a few different brands and this is the favorite.
- Fisher Price Play Mat: This right here!! Get ready to sing purple monkey in a bubblegum tree for the rest of your life hahaha, it’s a cute song.. but we got this for Christmas and she is obsessed with it! It always grows with your baby, you can take the piano off, change the hanging toys, etc.
- Swing: The hanging toys on here totally help with focus and eye sight! This is great for naps and the chair portion can be removed and then used on the floor.
- Activity Mat: I know there are mixed feelings about how many toys, etc you should have and honestly I think you need multiple options! Your baby will get used to the same things and its nice to have multiple options. This is such a cute mat.. It’s perfect for tummy time and just something different to look at.
- Dr. Bronner’s Magic Balm: YOU NEED THIS!!! It is truly magic.. diaper rash, scratches, anything. It takes it away so fast and it is a super clean product.. remember unscented is best for babies!
- Dr. Bronner’s Unscented Baby Castille Soap: We use this to bathe her. Again, another super clean product. This has so many uses too.. you can even use it for laundry detergent. Speaking of laundry detergent…
- Molly’s Suds: I am huge on knowing what ingredients are in the products I use and try to use as many clean products as usual…especially for my baby! I won’t say the name brand, but please do your research before using that said popular baby detergent, you will be shocked if you have never looked into ingredients 😉 Having said that, this works great! They do have scented options but unscented is best for newborns. I’ve never had a stain not come out! I usually add a few squirts of Dr. Bronner’s soap too & will spot treat with that if there is a blowout.
- Uppa Baby Vista Stroller & Mesa Car Seat: My husband did all the research when it came to deciding on what stroller and car seat to go with. We decided the Uppa Baby was the best fit for our family. I absolutely LOVE the stroller and car seat. The stroller comes with the bassinet, which is great for newborn days. You can also get a stand for it. Right now, we are mainly using the car seat on the stroller. It is so easy to attach. The stroller folds down in one step, no fear of not being able to close the stroller while in the parking lot alone! It’s so easy to push, very lightweight.
- Millie Moon Diapers: Originally we used Coterie, they are very pricey in comparison. They are a clean diaper, but can only be purchased online. Whole Foods does carry them, but only the larger sizes. After doing some more research, I discovered Millie Moon diapers. On the clean ingredient level, they compare very similarly to Coterie. Another plus is they are sold at Target, so it is convenient to run to the store if you run out. The price point is $24.99 vs $90 with Coterie, ya call me crazy for using them at first haha but like I said, I like to use clean products and it is overwhelming at first when trying to decide on which products to use. Anyway, diapers are another product I highly suggest researching. It is best to steer clear of chlorine, phthalates..to name a few. Again with popular name brands, these are the same price, actually cheaper!
I hope this helps you and gives some insight on the popular baby products out there! Trust me, I know how overwhelming it all is and then second guessing if you picked the right product haha. Oh, another thing.. newborn PJ’s!! Everyone told me to not buy newborn clothes because they grow out of them so fast, so we had like 2 pair of newborn pajamas…buy the newborn clothes! haha. You will be surprised how long your baby will wear newborn. Of course, every brand is different with sizing. I really liked LC by Lauren Conrad at Kohl’s and Cloud Island from Target, specifically for newborn sizes.
What are you favorite baby products? Need a recommendation on something I may have missed? Let me know!